The History of Radnor Valley Country Club
During the early decades of the century, the largest part of what is today Radnor Valley was the estate of Franklin McFadden, honorary consul for Japan here in Philadelphia. In 1907 he built the handsome mansion that, almost 50 years later, would become the clubhouse of a new country club. Early in 1951, Louis Harrison, one of Radnor Valley’s founding members, spearheaded the acquisition of the old McFadden estate (90 acres) and two adjacent parcels of 30 and 10 acres. Prior to settlement, an open house was scheduled for prospective members. A heavy snowstorm early that day, however, made it all but impossible to get to the Sproul Road site, in the Ithan area of Villanova. Virtually no one showed up. A second open house was hastily arranged. This time the weather was no obstacle, and a number of the 250 people who turned out signed up as members on the spot, pledging $1,000 each. Now, late in 1951, final settlement could be made.
"... from [Wilson's] drawing board would flow such exceptional designs..."
The founding members of Radnor Valley Country Club were Samuel Abrams, Robert Arronson, Irwin Axelrod, Jules Axelrod, Jerome Blank, Lester Blank, Albert Borish, Martin Corbman, Morris Edelson, Meyer Girsh, Stanley Goldstein, Louis Harrison, Joseph Kaplan, Bernard Kessler, Martin Kohn, Harry Kravitz, Samuel Laver, Harold Newman, Herman Rosenfeld, and Bernard Sterling.
Five of these 20 founders were chosen to be the club’s first officers: Jules Axelrod, president; Herman Rosenfeld, 1st vice president; Jerome Blank, 2nd vice president; Bernard Kessler, secretary; Bernard Sterling, treasurer. DickWilson was commissioned to design the golf course. Assisting him was X. B. Hassenplug, who had worked with J. B. McGovern on the opposite side of Sproul Road when McGovern laid out Overbrook just a few years earlier. Wilson had served while a lad of ten as water boy for the construction crew on Merion’s West course. He later worked on Toomey and Flynn’s crew during the revision of the East course in 1925, then became a construction superintendent of the firm and, later, a design associate. In 1931 he supervised the building of the great Shinnecock Hills course, interpreting William Flynn’s outstanding plan. It was in 1945 that he formed his own course design company. Prior to his selection by Radnor Valley, he had actually laid out no more than six or seven courses, including the highly regarded eighteen for West Palm Beach Country Club and a handful of courses in Virginia.
"The original intention of the founders was to confine the club solely to golf..."
But in the 1950s and the first part of the 1960s, his services were much in demand, and from his drawing board would flow such exceptional designs as the two eighteens at NCR Country Club, Dayton, Ohio; the Blue Course at Doral; Pine Tree Country Club, Delray Beach, Florida; the No. 4 Course at Cog Hill, Lemont, Illinois; Deepdale Country Club. The course at Radnor Valley, routed over attractively rolling terrain, opened in 1953. The original intention of the founders was to confine the club solely to golf, but that concept turned out to be short-lived, and a swimming pool was built that same year. Tennis, however, was not added till the latter part of 1967.It was at this time that the impact of the Blue Route (Route 476) was felt at Radnor Valley. Part of the golf course lay in the projected path of the highway, which, incidentally, would finally open more than 20 years later. The state agreed to pay $1,320,000 for the land needed by the right of way.
This money, together with other funding, was used by the club to acquire additional ground and to redesign and rebuild the golf course. Dick Wilson had died in 1965. The Gordons would now be called in to carry out a sweeping makeover of the original layout.
Here we find an instance of one architect redesigning a course originally laid out by a longtime friend and colleague, for Bill Gordon and Dick Wilson had both learned their craft under William Flynn and Howard Toomey in the 1920s. The course that was unveiled in 1968—6,215 yards from the regular tees, 6,655 from the championship markers, par 71—can, on the whole, be rightly attributed to Bill and Dave Gordon. But there was also a little Dick Wilson and, by extension, a little William Flynn in it as well.